Let's be honest - every professional hairdresser needs to have tools that they know they can rely on to make the cleanest cuts and make sure that their clients always exit their salon satisfied with the work done. However, only having them is not enough - if you want your reliable pair of hair cutting shears to last you a lifetime and perform work of the same quality every time, then you need to take proper care of it. There's no way around it.
One way you can do it is by always keeping them in a case or a pouch when they aren't in use. It will protect them from dust and keep the blades clean. Here at Scissor Tech, we understand the importance of scissor pouches and cases, which is why we offer a great variety of both.
And if you thought that the only choice you'll have to make is whether you want a case or a pouch, then we're sorry to say that that's just the tip of the iceberg. Here are some other things that you'd need to make up your mind about:
- Size - do you want a small pouch or case that will hold only a few pairs of scissors? Do you want a bigger one that will be able to store all the pieces of your collection, not only the shears but also things like hair clippers, razors, additional blades and so on?
- Look - what color or material would you like to have the most? We have something for all tastes. Since we provide you with several color options, you can choose one that will be the most suitable for your collection.
- Brand - if you're worried about spending money on something that will, later on, turn out to be nothing but a piece of garbage, you don't have to be. In our offer, you will find hair cutting accessories only from brands that treat each product they make with the same care and use only high-quality materials.
What Should Every Hairdresser Have in Their Kit?
No matter if you're just starting in the business or if you already have years of experience, some tools are just a must-have for a professional, such as:
- All-purpose shears - depending on what type of haircut you need to make and the client's hair, you might need differently sized shears, so if you are planning on going professional, or you already are one, it would be best to have a kit at hand - you never know when you'll need them.
- Thinning shears - this haircutting tool is used, as the name suggests, to thin hair, removing its weight and adding controlled texture.
- Razor - no toolkit will be complete without at least one razor - ideally, you should choose one with interchangeable blades so that you can easily switch them between the clients, keeping things nice and hygienic.
- Hair clippers- hair clippers are especially useful when your client has very short hair and wants to trim it. Since they are equipped with a motor, they make trimming longer and thicker hair much easier.
Scissor Care Tips
Putting your hair cutting tools in their designed case or pouch at the end of the day is just one position on the proper maintenance checklist. Unfortunately, although very important, it is not enough to keep your hair cutting shears as sharp as possible for years. However, fear not, as we are here to tell you exactly how you can take care of your hair cutting tools.
Clean your scissors, trimmer or other hair cutting tools with a soft cloth - do it after every cut. It helps get rid of chemicals or hair that might be left on your shears, and that can affect their performance as the day goes on.
There's a reason why we include scissor oil in most of our packages - that's because lubrication is crucial for proper maintenance. To lubricate your scissors, open them to a 90° angle, and apply a little bit of the oil on the scissor's pivot - it will leave a protective layer. Remember that you should repeat this process daily if you want your scissors to serve you for years.
In order for your scissors to work properly, they need to have the correct tension. If they are too loose, the chances are that they will bend and damage your client's hair. On the other hand, if they are too tight, they will most likely wear out faster than scissors with the correct tension.
To test if your hair cutting shears have the right tension, hold them with both hands with the tips upwards, and lift one handle to a 90° angle and let go of it. If the scissors close completely very quickly, they are too loose. In this case, you have to adjust the tension and repeat the test. The scissors should close about two-thirds of the way.
If you use your hair-cutting shears of hair thinning scissors regularly, then you should have them serviced at least once a year, if not more often. Since scissors are your tools of the trade and rather expensive ones, you need to be careful when choosing a service center. After all, you probably don't want to spend hundreds, if not thousands of dollars on hair cutting tools, only for them to be ruined by someone who has no idea how to service them properly.
Hair Cutting Tools Maintenance - The Dos and the Don'ts
When we say that taking care of your tools properly is not an easy job, we mean it. There are many things that might seem innocent and not a big deal but are actually very harmful to your prized possessions, aka your hair cutting tools. To save you (and your wallet) from a tragedy, here is a short overview of what we consider to be the dos and the don'ts of hair cutting tools maintenance.
- Only use the tools in the way they are supposed to be used - by experimenting, you are risking damaging them.
- After you are done using your tools, make sure that you clean them thoroughly.
- Oil your scissors regularly, preferably with shear oil.
- Remember to sharpen your shears regularly.
- Check if the scissors have the correct tension, and if they don't, readjust them.
- Ensure that you always know where your hair cutting tools are - since some of them are small, they can easily be lost somewhere if you don't pay attention to where you put them.
- Make sure that the place you're storing your hair cutting tools is dry and clean - ideally, it should be a dedicated case or pouch.
- Remember to service your tools, especially hair cutting shears and hair thinning scissors, at least once every 6 to 24 months.
- Only use your scissors to cut human hair (if you need to cut animal hair, you will need to purchase a pair of scissors designed for that).
- Don't place your hair cutting tools in a case or pouch when they are still wet.
- Don't use toxic chemicals to clean your shears or other hair cutting accessories.
- Don't drop your scissors - the impact of the fall can damage them.
Here at Scissor Tech, we understand that if you want the hairdressing tools you purchased to last you for a very long time, you need to take care of them properly - this includes keeping them in a case or a pouch where they can safely await their next calling.
By offering you only high-quality, reliable brands, we want to make sure that any decision you make regarding which product you should choose will be a good one. And there's a lot to choose from - Which color do you want? What material will be the best one for you? Do you need a bigger case that will store your whole collection or just a small one that holds 3-4 most important pairs of shears? What brand would you like to get the case or a pouch from the most? Ask, and you shall receive!
If you have questions about any of the products or you aren't sure which one will be the best option for you, don't hesitate to contact us! Our team of hairdressing professionals will be more than happy to help you. Thank you for shopping at Scissor Tech!